[jsword-devel] Patching from on versification to another

Chris Burrell chris at burrell.me.uk
Thu Mar 14 16:03:58 MST 2013

I will wait to see if anyone responds, but I thought I'd emailed a few
months ago and got no response (although I can't find my original email).
While I understand that support for versification as a whole might be
tricky, I'm not sure I agree with the fact that patching from one to
another is tricky as well.

If you allow you master versification to be able to have split verses, then
everything becomes rather trivial

*2 verse in the original, 1 verse in the KJV-based master*
Gen.1.1=Gen.1.1
Gen.1.2=Gen.1.1

*1 verse in the original, 2 verses in the master*
Gen.1.1=Gen.1.1-Gen.1.2

*Using splits, so that 2 separate versifications can refer to the same
parts of verses*
Gen.1.1=Gen.1.1a
Gen.1.2=Gen.1.1b
Gen.1.3=Gen.1.1.c

Then another versification can also refer to the same parts. It would
become necessary to keep track of what the parts are, such that they can be
easily re-used when approrpriate. For example, a second versification might
be mapped as follows:

Gen.1.1=Gen.1.1a-Gen.1.1b
Gen.1.2=Gen.1.c

*No mapping*
Osis IDs mean the same thing.

I think the above covers, "Split verse", "Merged verse", Different verse
boundaries.

*Chapter boundaries can be mapped equally the same:*
Gen.1.1=Gen.1.1
Gen.1.2=Gen.2.1

indicates that that Genesis 1:2 can be found in Gen 2:1 in the master.

*Extra verses*
We simply introduce some identified ids (osis ids, or other form of unique
identifier) in the master to identify the content of these verses

Additional verses within a chapter can be represented using the above.

*Psalm headings:*
Ps.53.1=Ps.53.1 (not required, or required if map it to 'nothing' or '0')
Ps.53.2=Ps.53.1
Ps.53.3=Ps.53.2

We can reduce this to if we want to introduce a less verbose way of mapping
things.
Ps.53.2-7-=Ps.53.1-+1 (where minus simply indicates that there is an offset
of 1 compared to the master)

I don't think we need to introduce splits on the left hand-side. The reason
being, you can't do anything with an OSIS id of Gen.1.1a, since you're
going to retrieve a whole verse anyway, so we can keep things with splits
only-ever on the right hand side.

For verse ranges, we can expand out to its list of verses contained in the
source versification first. Then there needs to be a choice by the
user/software of whether we're attempting to compare a contiguous section
in the target versification, or verses of the same content..

---

I saw some posts on the archives, but not a lot. One by Greg H, whom I
agree with, in that the KJV versification should be the master + extended
bits from the apocrypha. That makes it easier for people to write mappings.

I agree with your last point, that coming up with the mappings can be hard,
and it will take someone to understand where the verses really different in
content. But I think the above system is pretty simple.

I disagree with the idea of having a master versification being "the
rosetta stone", if by that we mean inflexible to change. There are bound to
be changes (new/custom versifications, bug fixes, oversights, etc.) We can
easily provide a tool that inserts splits and rewrites all the mappings
safely for that.

I'm happy to work with others if they want to work on this, but I've found
most of the posts on the lists about this are rather old. I'll wait and see
what comes of my post, but on the other hand, STEP needs this rather
quickly (doing text comparisons, parallel texts and interlinears). I have
the mappings for the Masoretic Text which would solve most of STEP's
interlinear issues when using 1 or more ancient texts. And there's nothing
to say that we don't put in the mappings one by one, especially if we
provide a tool that can do that.

To be clear, I'm not trying to solve your last point of "In each of these
it is important to determine what will be represented by a v11n". This
someone else can do when they come up with a different v11n. The problem of
mapping them is distinctively separate and the one I'm trying to address.

Maybe I'm missing something?
Chris