[jsword-devel] Module conf sidecar

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Mon Jun 3 05:42:30 MST 2013

I've been mulling over whether we need to have a sidecar for a module's conf. A sidecar would be just like a module's conf and would be merged into the internal/core representation of the conf. If there's a conflict/duplicate, the sidecar would win.

Today, we store the CiperKey in the module's conf.

We also have a mechanism in Bible Desktop to store user preference for Font and some notion of position and size of various windows, so that the user can return to a last known state. I'm pretty certain that per user settings should be a separate consideration. Maybe a second level sidecar for this?

I think the sidecar would be used by a front-end to store what it needs to know about a module that is not easy to discover.

Examples,
Introductions: Does a module have introductions. STEP has a use case for this.
Books: Which books are present/missing.
Chapters: Which chapters in a book are missing/present.

We've got a caching mechanism for low powered devices (i.e. AndBible has pre-built indices on the CrossWire Server). Maybe we could do the same for such info.

Way back when we had an argument for "download size". It was finally added to the conf, but it took forever. Having a sidecar sidesteps such arguments. (We should still have the discussion).

In Him,
	DM Smith