[jsword-devel] JSword 2.0 tagged

Chris Burrell chris at burrell.me.uk
Tue Jul 16 13:47:28 MST 2013

*Some thoughts:*

   - I'd agree with master remaining the going forward & development
   branch. I think other GitHub projects tend to follow the same pattern (e.g.
   JBoss)
   - We can create a branch for 2.0 when we first need to commit a fix
   - In terms of process, I'd suggest we always want to develop on feature
   branches, but they get merged into master when ready.
   - Choosing to build off master can be associated with the risk of it
   being unstable.
   - A developer can always choose to build off a different branch/tag if
   he wants stablity
   - We shouldn't merge a change in until we're confident it works, but we
   should try master as up-to-date as possible. When branches diverge a lot
   this creates issues.
   - I'd prefer to go for small incremental changes and therefore accepting
   smaller PRs into master rather than big sweeping changes.

*In terms of my changes:*

   - I can't immediately see more bits of JSword I *need *to change for
   STEP at the moment
   - There are lots of unit tests and they test all the different
   combinations allowed in a file
   - STEP uses this new functionality for almost every passage lookup, key
   validation, etc. and I've tested numerous different passages all of which
   work as expected in STEP
   - I am hoping to get some German mappings soon. (not blocking - would
   prefer a small change later dissociated from the current dev work)
   - I would also like Martin to test the initialising performance hit vs
   his version.
   - I think we need to think further into how we integrate the
   Versification Mappers into the core code (that's for a different thread).
   This would simplify some of the frontends' code. (things like adding keys
   together could work across versifications).

Chris