[jsword-devel] Loggers

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Wed Feb 6 06:20:35 MST 2013

My answers were a bit short. Here's a bit of history. (As best I can remember ;)

When creating an application from scratch, it is wise to start with some frameworks: logging, internationalization, memory management, ...

When I started w/ JSword 8.5 years ago, these already in place. (Thanks Joe!)

At that time we were using Java 1.3.

Loggers at that time were being strongly debated as who's was the best, and log4j was used for JSword. Java did not have a logger. But wrapped by our logger class.

IIRC: At that time there was no support in any logging package for stack tracing, which is critical for debugging.

One of the problems with generating a stack trace is that we want it to show where the problem occurred (class, method and line where the logger was called), not one starting inside of the logger in some distant package. So, we put a static logger object in each class that did logging. The logger was then part of that class and would properly show that class as the originator for the log message. To get the method and the line number of where the logger was called required a stack trace to dig through.

We then figured out how to get the calling class by digging into the call stack. (See CallContext).

Then we changed from log4j to Java logging. The names we had for our logger needed to map to the logging levels in Java. We kept our old names and documented the mapping.

Regarding Java Logging, I don't know the full capabilities. Here is what we need for good logging:
1) Class where the logging took place. Always.
2) Method and line of where the event took place. The place where the logger is called might be the closest place that we can get. This is needed for debugging errors. It is probably not needed for fine levels of detail.
3) Stack trace. Needed for understanding errors. It is not sufficient to know the class, method and line, but need the context of the event.

So we probably have baggage from the past and Java Logging probably has caught up. So, if there are better ways to get method and line, that'd be great. It might make sense to use the provided throwable (when not null).

Enough for now.

In Him,
	DM