[jsword-devel] PassageKeyFactory, resolving verse references

David Instone-Brewer Technical at Tyndale.cam.ac.uk
Mon Oct 29 08:47:56 MST 2012

At 13:57 26/10/2012, Chris Burrell wrote:
>Hi All
>
>I've encountered an issue where I'm trying to parse the following
>references: "Ps 27:7-14; 28".
>
>It seems that JSword is treating the 28 as a verse rather than as a
>chapter. Previously I had assumed that when separating by commas you
>would be referencing a verse, but when separating by a semi-colon
>you would be expressing a chapter.
>
>The JSword code doesn't make a difference between the two parts, and
>therefore assumes here that 28 is a chapter. This then causes an
>issue because Ps 27 doesn't have a verse 28.
>
>Presumably introducing a difference between separators of verses,
>verse ranges and chapters (e.g. comma means between verse, but
>semi-colon means between chapters) is something fairly fundamental
>and therefore a change that we wouldn't want to make?
>
>Chris

I agree that commas always separate verses and semi-colons always
separate chapters.
I don't see any problem with making that clear in JSword. I expect
that this lack of clarity was an oversight.

David IB

///   Dr David Instone-Brewer
dib   Senior Research Fellow in Rabbinics and the New Testament
  ^    Tyndale House, 36 Selwyn Gardens, Cambridge, CB3 9BA, UK
\=/   Rabbinics at Tyndale.cam.ac.uk      www.TyndaleHouse.com