[jsword-devel] Git

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Thu Mar 29 08:35:11 MST 2012

On 03/29/2012 10:55 AM, Martin Denham wrote:
> I wonder what would happen if you just asked github to import the
> current svn repository.  They say they have no hard limits on storage.

It should work just fine. I think that is what Mate(j has done for
another git server.

But there are two things regarding such an import.
1) The layout follows that of SVN rather than GIT. For example, you'd
have trunk rather than master and the tags would be branches rather than
GIT tags. Not a big deal for either but it is easy to cleanup.

2) The size of the checkout will be large due to the jars and other
binaries. We can remove them, but it really needs to be done before
anyone uses it to do work. I've had a few translators object to the
checkout size in SVN just to get the resources to translate. By removing
these artifacts and suggesting --depth, their problem might be solved.

Right now, I'm trying to get the build to work without them in source
code control. (Thus the ivy work for JS-104).