[jsword-devel] Verse 0 in xgen titles - expected behaviour?

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Mon Jul 2 09:54:06 MST 2012

The work is done by VerseRange.getName() which calls
VerseRange.getName(Verse base) which ultimately calls VerseRange
doGetName(Verse base).

The purpose of this routine is to get a user friendly representation of
the VerseRange. It is used in more places than just x-gen titles. Here
are a few more scenarios:

First scenario:
It is used in a bi-directional context. That is the user can input Gen
1:1-31, which is not the same as Gen 1, since Gen 1 can include intros
if present.

So in BibleDesktop, we allow a user to input verses freeform and we try
to figure out the best we can what they mean.

In preferences they can either preserve original values in which case we
only show them what they type, but behind the scenes we store it as we
see fit.

Or they can choose to have their input normalized into their preferred
form. This will result in calls to VerseRange.getName(Verse base).

This normalized form is then used to do whatever work is needed. So the
normalized form needs to be equivalent to what the user originally
specified.

Second scenario:
The user performs a search and the answer is included in verse 0. Should
0 be shown to the user?

Third scenario:
Blurring: The user has Gen 1:4 in their list and blurs it by 10 verses,
which results in Gen 1:0-14. Should it show 0? Should it show the intro?

In each of these scenarios, the output is the textual representation of
a bit map. They need to match.

There may be others, but I know of these off the top of my head.

So how do we change it for your scenario? What should we do for the
other scenarios?

In Him,
     DM