[jsword-devel] Best way of keying verses in a separate database

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Mon Jul 2 06:52:30 MST 2012

Av11n does not make the mapping problem more acute. It exists just as much in the pre-av11n world:

A psalm with a (in KJV versification) canonical title and n verses would in the Synodal versification have n+1 verses, the canonical title being counted as verse 1.

But this same psalm in a KJV-ified module of a text in originally Synodal versification would while having only n (and not n+1) verses still show as v1 the canonical title and have its (n+1)th verse added to the nth verse.

So when looking for the commentary of verse x of that bible one would end up in the commentary of x-1 in the MHC.

Same, when verses are on the wrong side of the  boundaries of chapters (as in German Pentateuch.

This happens now and has nothing to do with av11n.

When we pushed Synodal or Lutheran texts into a KJV mould we did not adjust and "rectify" versifications but simply did the equivalent of a bowl cut - all offending bits were cut off and squeezed into shape - with often horrendous results.

Mapping is a interesting computing problem, but not a huge one in the real world - the Kazakh mentioned is more likely reading a Russian commentary (also in Synodal) or will be well used to the oddities of Anglosaxon versifications.

E.g. for me as a German who grew up with 3 different versifications being absolutely mainstream at the same time - RC, Lutheran and KJV (via Elberfelder) we simply got on with it and asked when someone referred to a verse "Do mean such and such".

So, in summary, av11n does nothing to make the mapping problem worse. It prexists our release of av11n modules.

Wrt solution to mapping - there has been some discussion on sword-devel on it and some preliminary code has been checked in. Any mapping solution in jsword should probably take that into account.

Peter

-------- Original-Nachricht --------