[jsword-devel] Av11n and coverage

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Thu Jan 5 08:26:28 MST 2012

Peter,
I think that having a coverage statement is a wonderful idea. For
JSword, it is a perfect time to have such a definition.

A couple of comments on the implementation.

If we add such a statement to the conf and use an osisRef, I'd like to
see that it is actually an osisRef. Specifically, an osisRef does not
use commas to separate ranges, it uses spaces. So it would be:
     Coverage=Gen-Mal Matt-Rev
not
     Coverage=Gen-Mal,Matt-Rev

With it we could get use the KJVA v11n in place of the KJV v11n and it
would look no different to the end user.

Also, we could mark the NT only and the OT only modules in the download
managers. This has been a long-standing request and the lack of it has
been a point of confusion to end users.

I'd also like SWORD to support a valid osisRef. As it is, SWORD requires
that spaces in an osisRef be replaced with spaces in order for it to
parse. The same is true for osisID when it refers to more than one
verse: SWORD requires commas as a separator, but the OSIS spec only
allows for spaces.

I'd imagine that the SWORD and JSword API would add something like
module->hasBook(book) returning true or false, and that any iterator
over the books in a module would skip those not present.

 From an implementation perspective, the SWORD and JSword engines might
be able to include this today. Deep down in the implementation of the
storage of a module, there is an index file with a bunch of integers in
it. When a verse is written to a module, it is appended to the data
file. The size of that data file before the write is stored as the
offset in the index file for that verse. The entry of all the verses in
such a book will have an invalid index of 0. It is a bit more
complicated for a compressed module, but the idea is the same.

Using this is far slower than a coverage statement in the conf as it has
to read each index file in it's entirety. But it is less prone to errors.

There are some heuristics that can be used
* Does the book have chapter 1, verse 1.
* Does the book occupy space in the index.
But they rely on unreliable assumptions:
* Chapter 1, Verse 1 is present in all books that exist.
* The module is created all at once. That is, the append mode of
osis2mod is not used. The append mode puts the verses at the end of the
module, and updates the index to point to it.
* All the verses are in proper v11n order (osis2mod does not require
that verse 2 follow verse 1 and will write them in the order that they
occur, but the index will not be monotonically increasing from one verse
to the next in the v11n)

In Him,
     DM