[jsword-devel] Xiphos repo download config help

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Fri Feb 11 17:13:25 MST 2011

On 11/02/11 19:37, Martin Denham wrote:
> I have only used JSword and am unaware of what is available in Sword
> but, unless I have got the wrong idea about the master list, it is a
> list of repositories rather than the ability to filter modules based on
> maturity.

Mostly I think I responded to a mail earlier in the thread. But anyway,
the various CrossWire owned repos do just this (or at least intend to).
In a clumsy way and not entirely reliable. But probably the only way
currently to improve reliability is to test and comment on the relevant
Wikipage:

http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/Modules_in_the_beta_repository

This page undergoes occasional spurts of testing in the hope that it
moves things - and then occasional modules move from beta to main. There
are plans to improve the moving speed but like everything in CW it is
hampered by overload.

Main is all solid stuff, often feature-poor, but should at least work.

Beta is undergoing testing, is feature richer, is probably just fine and
often enough hanging around for far too long in Beta.

Main problems in Beta are usually minor rendering issues, but usually
not nasty stuff.

Experimental can blow up your computer, make your hair go green an throw
Voodoo curses on your code

av11n is an alternative to Main but for mature av11n modules
attic is the last iteration so that in case of an unexpected problem the
user has a place to fall back to.

Experimental is not listed in the master list - for obvious reasons
av11n and attic will go into master repo list asap.

The issue you want to address will mostly become really relevant when we
start to add on many other repos. I think (apart from xiphos) there are
3 or 4 currently under serious discussion (and will hopefully happen).

Peter