[jsword-devel] Storing user information in JSword

Chris Burrell chris at burrell.me.uk
Tue Nov 9 11:50:24 MST 2010

Indeed, I have seen, and we should change that.  Did you have any insight in
terms of the defect I raised? I'm happy to create a patch for it, but I'm
not very familiar with that part of the code, having used mainly the exposed
API. And so, it would be good to get feel for the way to go about the
change, before I change one of the most crucial parts of the whole library!
And also whether the other drivers would suffer from the same problem.

You probably know this already, but a few good principles I've picked up
over the last few years:
- dependency injection is good and makes things (more) flexible (whether
manual or with a framework)
- singletons are very hard to test and can cause unforeseen issues (e.g. the
one we have come across).
- statics as options are quite hard to deal with (as you've probably seen on
a previous post - still trying to get my head around how to change some of
these - I haven't forgotten it)

Chris