[jsword-devel] Strongs Dictionary in beta

trent.jsword at trentonadams.ca trent.jsword at trentonadams.ca
Sun Feb 28 09:21:55 MST 2010

----- "DM Smith" <dmsmith at crosswire.org> wrote:

> [...]

Oh.  Do you know if they are on honey-moon or something?

> > I have some things I'd like to add to the strongs, so I might as
> well add it to the latest strongs xml.  Also, why, if it's so old, has
> it not been moved to the production repository?
>
> It may be old, but if it has not moved it is because there are known
> problems with it.
>
> The jsword-devel list is for discussions about JSword. I don't mind
> threads like this, but sword-devel is where people lurk that can
> answer non-jsword questions.

Okay, but if they don't modify the texts, then I guess there's not much point.

> > I would like to possibly look into adding the entire set of verses
> that each Strongs number exists in, using the <xr/> and <ref/> tags,
> so that we can link back to the biblical text.
>
> Why not just search on the Strong's number? From the BibleDesktop
> manual:
>
> Strong's Number Search: You can search for verses with a particular
> Strong's Number. This uses a form similar to Note Search.
> “strong:h3068” will find all verses that have YHWH in them. Prefix
> Hebrew numbers with H or h and Greek with G or g. You can follow the
> letter with any number of zeros and then the number. If the Bible does
> not have Strong's numbers it won't find anything.

Oh, I didn't realize that.

> It would be more reasonable for JSword to make the title a search for
> the keyword. In he case of Strong's dictionary it would use the syntax
> above. For any other dictionary, it would be just a regular search.

Right, okay, that would be good.  I don't see where I can make the item searchable though.  I'm assuming just a link with some special format?  You mentioned "Note Search" but I've searched the code to no avail.  Perhaps I'm not using the proper search to find it. :P

> But to answer your request, you can get the xml and modify it to be a
> private module for yourself and your friends, but the modules on the
> CrossWire server are faithful to the text that we get. We don't add
> content that is not in the source e-text.

Oh, okay, I didn't realize that.

> > Also, I just realized, while I do that, it may be worth my time to
> fix the simple.xsl to output links to other strongs numbers as well.
> Does
>
> Your email didn't finish your thought. One of the ideas about a
> dictionary is that the common "See also" references should be
> hyperlinked. The module should be marked up for this. JSword will need
> some work to handle it.

Yes, that's what I'm referring to.  The data is there, it's just not used yet.  I think it would be just a modification to the simple.xsl (I think).