[jsword-devel] JSword, Jira and the mailing list

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Thu Apr 22 11:28:29 MST 2010

I'd like to propose a change to how we make changes to JSword.

For JSword I'd like to move toward a model that all changes are
described in Jira. Jira is best when it is seen as a planning tool. I'd
like to see every change described there and targeted to an appropriate
release (which changes based on circumstances). Patches would be
attached to it, generated from current trunk. By discussion in the
issue, the patch would be iterated to its final form with each version
of the patch being appended to the issue. Under this model, Jira would
be hooked into jsword-devel. If so, then jsword-devel would be used for
initial discussion and upon consensus an issue would be created and then
further discussion would happen w/in Jira on that issue. By having all
changes described in Jira, it is easier to generate release notes.

With time patches have a tendency to get stale and not apply cleanly. By
having them in Jira attached to issues, the burden to update them is
shared. When they are submitted via a mailing list, they get lost and
when they are emailed to me, I have the sole burden to keep them current
and apply them.

BTW, this is the model that Apache's Lucene uses and it really works well.

In Him,