No subject

Tue Sep 1 18:21:41 MST 2009

to look in the JDO-persistent store of GAE for the Book, and then a driver
to look in there as well... Sounds rather complicated though... But then
maybe that's because I'm not that familiar with JSword and just starting
with GAE.

Thanks for the answer...
Chris

2009/10/3 DM Smith <dmsmith at crosswire.org>

> On Oct 3, 2009, at 5:10 AM, Chris Burrell wrote:
>
>  Hi
>>
>> I was just wondering if people think it is possible to take JSword as is,
>> and run it as a library on Google App Engine? My thinking is that it is not,
>> since it downloads the books when you install them to disk (wherever that
>> might be) and with Google App Engine you have only read-access to the
>> disk...
>>

> I'm not at all familiar with Google App Engine, so I can't really comment.
> JSword does not expect to have write access to the disk. It is possible to
> install a JSword based frontend on a CD and run it from there. It leaves no
> trace on the host computer. The obvious problem is that other books cannot
> be downloaded.
>
> I'm curious as to what you think about the GAE and JSword.
>

>> Am I right? or would it be possible to configure the drivers somehow to
>> enable the books to be stored somewhere else? like in their non-relational
>> datastore?
>>

> There are two parts to finding a Book (aka module).
> 1. Locating the SWORD repository on disk that has the Book. This is not
> part of the driver. This determines the root of the Book store. This is
> adaptable and can be taught to look at many more disk locations.
> 2. Locating and using the files belonging to the Book. This is the
> responsibility of the driver.
>
> It is possible to write a locator and a driver for another store.
>
> I'm not sure that I answered your question.
>
> In Him,
>        DM

--0016e6db2f4605ed3a04751a8e8e

Assuming I understand this correctly then, if we preloaded the GAE platform=
 with all the bible versions we would like, then we could probably use it a=
s they would just sit there, possibly by writing a seperate locator... Howe=
ver, that would prevent us from automatically installing new versions and m=
odules...<br>
locator to look in the JDO-persistent store of GAE for the Book, and then a=
 driver to look in there as well... Sounds rather complicated though... But=
 then maybe that&#39;s because I&#39;m not that familiar with JSword and ju=
st starting with GAE.<br>
9/10/3 DM Smith <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dmsmith at crosswire.o=
e" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt =
0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
On Oct 3, 2009, at 5:10 AM, Chris Burrell wrote:<br>
204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
Hi<br>
I was just wondering if people think it is possible to take JSword as is, a=
nd run it as a library on Google App Engine? My thinking is that it is not,=
 since it downloads the books when you install them to disk (wherever that =
might be) and with Google App Engine you have only read-access to the disk.=
..<br>

I&#39;m not at all familiar with Google App Engine, so I can&#39;t really c=
omment. JSword does not expect to have write access to the disk. It is poss=
ible to install a JSword based frontend on a CD and run it from there. It l=
eaves no trace on the host computer. The obvious problem is that other book=
s cannot be downloaded.<br>

I&#39;m curious as to what you think about the GAE and JSword.<div class=3D=
"im"><br>
204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
Am I right? or would it be possible to configure the drivers somehow to ena=
ble the books to be stored somewhere else? like in their non-relational dat=
astore?<br>
There are two parts to finding a Book (aka module).<br>
1. Locating the SWORD repository on disk that has the Book. This is not par=
t of the driver. This determines the root of the Book store. This is adapta=
ble and can be taught to look at many more disk locations.<br>
2. Locating and using the files belonging to the Book. This is the responsi=
bility of the driver.<br>
It is possible to write a locator and a driver for another store.<br>
I&#39;m not sure that I answered your question.<br>
In Him,<br><font color=3D"#888888">
 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0DM<br>

--0016e6db2f4605ed3a04751a8e8e--