[jsword-devel] Update on JSword

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Mon Oct 5 14:58:56 MST 2009

On 10/05/2009 04:10 PM, Manfred Bergmann wrote:

> Am 05.10.2009 um 14:22 schrieb DM Smith:
>
>> On Oct 5, 2009, at 9:09 AM, Manfred Bergmann wrote:
>>
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> I think switching to Java 1.5 is a good decision.
>>> As you said Java 1.5 is available for Mac OSX 10.4 and AFAIR this
>>> was the only door stopper.
>>>
>>> Then it would also be nice to get Generics in JSword.
>>>
>>> What actually is missing to bring JSword up to speed with C++ Sword?
>>
>> The biggest things: av11n and ability to write modules (which
>> supports personal commentary). We probably should add FTP back in.
>> (Try to use HTTP first and on failure go to FTP automatically)
>
> av11n I think is too big a challenge for me but I could have a look at
> writing modules.

That sounds great. I'll tackle the av11n. It will be hard.

> AFAIHS the low-level stuff is in jsword-sword and I guess here is the
> actual writing code to be implemented?
The implementation will be in JSword. I can point you to the classes
that will need to change and I can document the layout of the files too.

>> I'm sure there are others, but I haven't thought about it in a long
>> time.
>
> Did you need some distance from the project? Or were you busy with
> other things?

I guess it was a little bit of both. I was busy with family obligations
and work. The big family events are past and work has just eased up a
bit. But then I just didn't get back into it.