[jsword-devel] JSword on Google App Engine

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Sat Oct 3 04:07:16 MST 2009

On Oct 3, 2009, at 5:10 AM, Chris Burrell wrote:

> Hi
>
> I was just wondering if people think it is possible to take JSword
> as is, and run it as a library on Google App Engine? My thinking is
> that it is not, since it downloads the books when you install them
> to disk (wherever that might be) and with Google App Engine you have
> only read-access to the disk...

I'm not at all familiar with Google App Engine, so I can't really
comment. JSword does not expect to have write access to the disk. It
is possible to install a JSword based frontend on a CD and run it from
there. It leaves no trace on the host computer. The obvious problem is
that other books cannot be downloaded.

I'm curious as to what you think about the GAE and JSword.

> Am I right? or would it be possible to configure the drivers somehow
> to enable the books to be stored somewhere else? like in their non-
> relational datastore?

There are two parts to finding a Book (aka module).
1. Locating the SWORD repository on disk that has the Book. This is
not part of the driver. This determines the root of the Book store.
This is adaptable and can be taught to look at many more disk locations.
2. Locating and using the files belonging to the Book. This is the
responsibility of the driver.

It is possible to write a locator and a driver for another store.

I'm not sure that I answered your question.

In Him,