[jsword-devel] JSword new index ?

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Tue May 12 20:14:38 MST 2009

On May 12, 2009, at 10:33 PM, Tonny Kohar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I saw your post on sword mailing list, regarding the upcoming lucene
> 2.9 which means changing index on jsword and lets the user know.
>
> By looking at the jsword code it seems it is quite trivial (unless I
> mistakenly see the things involved)
> - it is already implemented on the o.c.j.index.lucene.IndexMetadata
> (just is this only meant for lucene or more generic for all index)
> - maybe add another status on IndexStatus and the corresponding
> listener
> - on o.c.j.index.IndexManager add the methods isIndexLatest(Book) or
> isNeedReindex(Book) which based the info from IndexMetadata as above
> - and added some info regarding the index version on the index storage
> folder during index creation. If the file is not there just assume the
> index is invalid (need to reindex), if the file exist just read the
> version info and compare it (whether it is latest or not)
>
> Do I assume the things correctly or I mistakenly see the things
> involved ?

That's pretty much it. I think in my post I mentioned that we need to
version 2 things:
1) Changes to the lucene that require a re-build, e.g. the new version
of lucene can't read existing indexes. So far this is not the case.
Lucene 2.9 can still read 1.x indexes. They are planning that sometime
during the 3.x series that it won't be able to read a 1.x, but will
still maintain the ability to read 2.x.

2) Changes to our use of lucene that require a rebuild. I.e. we change
one of our analyzers so that it is not backward compatible. At first,
it is probably sufficient that there was a change, but perhaps later
we want to say that we upgraded the Greek analyzer but not the French.

So are you volunteering? Thanks!

Yours in Christ,
	DM