[jsword-devel] Some navigation features in jsword

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Fri Dec 18 05:11:20 MST 2009

Both of these are good ideas. I'll add them to our issue tracker for BibleDesktop.

See below.

On Dec 18, 2009, at 3:18 AM, Yingjie Lan wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am using jsword more often now, and soon found that some convenient navigation features are quite desirable:
>
> 1. use space bar to pagedown the text (bible text, and/or other text).

It should be straight forward to add it to the Bible viewer. We probably should tie the up/down keys to scrolling, too. (They seem to be but it is not working well on a Mac.)

But to add it to the other viewers, we'll also need to add the notion of focus or active view. We had this at one point, but it was confusing a good number of users. What was active was not clear.

> 2. navigate to the next chapter/book with just one click on a button.
We probably should add <- and -> buttons around the book/chapter picker for this. It might also be good to tie it to <- and -> keys too.

> Maybe there are already some good ways to do it, but I am just saying that providing more habutal/obvious ways of navigation would make jsword more user-friendly.

We have the up/down keys working on the dictionary picker and the general book picker. You have to click in the window to get them to work and this is an example of how it is not visually obvious what is focused.

> Thanks and appreciate the good effort in providing this wonderful software!
>
> Yingjie

In Him,