[jsword-devel] Java on Linux speedup

Tonny Kohar tonny.kohar at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 19:33:40 MST 2009

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 1:20 AM, Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:
> Just stumbled over an option in the java commandline which when used on
> a Linux computer with Sun java makes BD +++ more responsive.
>
> -Dsun.java2d.opengl=true
>
> Not sure if it works on other javas, but if yes or if it could be tied
> into the BibleDesktop.sh startup script without causing damage on non
> Sun or non OpenGL systems it would, I think be worthwhile.

As far as I know that options only improve the performance if the
openGL driver exists on that machine (eg: using NVIDIA driver), other
than that it will use emulated openGL which is slower. But certainly
need more testing on the machine with build in gpu on the motherboard,
etc to make sure it is really speed up.

Unfortunately I do not have machine with non nvidia gpu (and true
openGL accelelator), so I could not test, but I could test it the
opposite :)

Also
- what java version did you use eg: java 1.6 ?
- what desktop environment did you use eg: Gnone or KDE ?
- for Gnome did you enable/disable compiz manager ?

Cheers
Tonny Kohar
--
Alkitab Bible Study