[jsword-devel] Lucene Indexes

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Mon May 19 08:38:54 MST 2008

Tonny Kohar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 9:27 AM, DM Smith <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I've been working on fixing a bug with the indexing and searching
>> Strong's numbers.
>> While I was at it I enable the work that Sijo did to add the ability
>> to search by word stems.
>>
>> To take advantage of these changes, get the latest build sometime
>> tomorrow and drop and re-add the index for a Bible.
>>

> Interesting enhancement and bug fixing. If you do not mind could you
> elaborate in a bite more detail regarding word stems? what is word
> stems ?

Others have given a bit of definition on what a word stem is. With
regard to Lucene, a stem is not a linguistic unit but the result of a
heuristic algorithm, either Porter Stemmer or Snowball. Only some of the
languages have stemming in Lucene.

Because it is algorithmic, the results can be surprising. That's why I'd
like to get some feedback. We might need to make it an advanced feature.

Hope this shed some light.

In Him,