[jsword-devel] Hamza - was strongs search

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Sun May 18 13:59:36 MST 2008

This is not merely an issue
> with arabic/farsi but with every "accented" language, e.g. French,
> Hebrew, German, Greek, .....

But it is of varying criticality in the various languages.

In German an umlaut is so much part of the language that no one would
ever even consider searching without umlaut.

In Farsi due to years of bad computer/software localisation people and
also varying forms of orthography (the hamza can be replaced by a single
"yeh" or by an alef + yeh sequence, depending which school of thought
you subscribe to) all kinds of fomrs abound.

> Supposedly osis2mod as it is in svn will normalize to NFC. But I am
> wondering whether it actually is doing that. NFC composes the letters,
> that is the letter with the accents is the norm.

Osis2mod does not seem to do this for Farsi - all modules where created
and recreated at the same time.

Peter