[jsword-devel] Software Best Practices

Brian Fernandes infernalproteus at gmail.com
Wed May 7 14:11:50 MST 2008

I have been following the "parallel display with WLC" conversation about
display issues with interest from the sidelines. It seemed to branch out
to cover much more than the original subject.

It would be cool if all this was captured in the wiki under "Best
Practices" or something like that, but *without* any OS / implementation
constraints mentioned (or mentioned as separate notes). In other words,
it would be good to see a list of what would be the ideal goal, with
side notes (or other pages) on why it may not be achievable on a
particular OS or using a particular library / language. This is so that
differently constrained developers are still able to benefit from these
guidelines without having to read through notes not applicable to them.

I'm new to this space and besides English, I doubt I am a good judge of
how users would like to read the bible, especially RtoL versions. So I
find myself spending time researching existing software for "what do
they do" instead of referring to some generally agreed upon guidelines.

For example, here is an example of what I'm looking for (I just made
them up, they're not intended to be "real guidelines"):

Note presentation:
By default, notes should be displayed on the left of the text for LtoR
bibles but on the right for RtoL bibles.

Note preferences:
There should be a preference allowing the user to turn off notes
entirely or force the notes to a particular side of the text,
irrespective of the text direction.

Best Fonts for languages: (I just noticed that there already is a page
on fonts here http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/index.php/Fonts)
English: Arial (or equivalents for non Win OSes)
Hebrew: Ezra SIL

I'm trying to pick up FireBible again, but I always get sidetracked
trying to find answers to these sorts of questions.

Thoughts?
Brian.