[jsword-devel] Alkitab 0.7 released

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Wed May 7 04:14:32 MST 2008

On May 7, 2008, at 12:56 AM, Tonny Kohar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 11:48 AM, Tonny Kohar <tonny.kohar at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>> Note: for the Mac OSX build, I am running blind here, because I do
>>> not
>> have access to Mac OSX.
>> The same things regarding Windows Vista and Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy
>> Heron).
>> So if you found any incompabilities or issues, etc, please do not
>> hesitate to drop me a note. Alkitab itself is developed under Ubuntu
>> 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbons)
>
> I am also looking for information regarding performance/speed of the
> application on older hardware eg: single core cpu, old pc (that able
> to run Java at least java 5). Because all the comp around me are at
> least double core (amd/intel) with big RAM (>= 1GB) typical
> development machine

If I can find it I have a Win98SE laptop that I keep for things like
this. But it has been over a year since I have used it and it is not
in any place I remember putting it. But I have Java 1.4.2 and Java 5
on it. IIRC, it is a 486 with 384M ram and slow disk.

WRT Java 5, on May 3, I posted here that Java 5 is not available on
OSX 10.3 and earlier. 10.4 was release 3 years ago. So, for the Mac,
all hardware in the last 3 years has Java 5. But as of June 2007, 23%
of Mac users were still using 10.3 and earlier.

My experience with an early CRT iMac is that Java runs very poorly.
Opening windows and dialogs too an especially long time. As did
reflection and reading files. In BD, opening preferences took a few
minutes.