[jsword-devel] parallel display with WLC

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Fri May 2 04:25:22 MST 2008

On May 2, 2008, at 2:44 AM, Daniel Owens wrote:

> I've been working with Hebrew a lot lately, and I noticed in the
> latest nightly build I have (jsword-1.0.8-20080426), while the WLC
> loads beautifully on its own, font smoothing takes a hit when it is
> loaded with other Bibles.
> If I load WLC first, the font I set for it (Ezra SIL) shows up fine.
> However, when I add another Bible (say, ESV), the ESV font looks
> rough.
> If I load the ESV first and then add the WLC, the font smoothing for
> the ESV disappears, and the WLC font is probably the default font
> for Bibles.
> If I change the default font to Ezra SIL, the last case is fine for
> the WLC but teh ESV font smoothing still takes a hit.
> Whenever the Ezra SIL font is used, the vowel placement still looks
> good.
> This font smoothing issue does not affect the pane on the right side
> of the interface.
> I hope that's helpful. It is admittedly a cosmetic issue, but it is
> annoying.

There are a few things going on here:

First:
It really boils down to that Java's HtmlEditorKit is terrible and
needs to be replaced with a real, native browser. I've recently re-
evaluated various options to embed Safari/Webkit, FireFox, and IE into
BD and it will be a significant effort.

The "any-day-now" release will have mostly be translations and a few
performance improvements.
ELEPHANT will be the next release with persistence features. This will
probably be 1.1.
The release after that will be 2.0 and will be a UI re-write that will
fix this problem. As we work toward 2.0, we may release improvements
and bug fixes to the 1.0 series.

Second:
Parallel view is biased toward the first Bible. It uses the settings
for that Bible to display the rest. Presuming that you have set per
language or per book fonts, (say Arial for ESV and Ezra for Hebrew),
if ESV is first then WLC will use Arial, but if WLC is first then ESV
will use Ezra.

I may be able to get this fixed with this release. I have entered a
"bug" for this:
http://www.crosswire.org/bugs/browse/BD-127

Regarding the display, which OS and Java version are you using? In
options, do you have Font Smoothing on or off and does changing that
make any difference.

In Him,