[jsword-devel] [sword-devel] Announcing FireBible 0.5.1 - GPLed Firefox font-end

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 30 13:53:48 MST 2008

Brian Fernandes wrote:
>> This may not be the first non-BD use of JSword, but it is the coolest.
>> Perhaps, I should start a "sightings" page in the wiki. Or feel free
>> to do so for yourself.
>>

> Thanks DM, if you can setup the page, perhaps I can add a blurb.
>
>> I'm not able to get it to work on my Mac Mini. When I click on "Select
>> Bible" nothing happens. Sword modules are located at "~/Library/
>> Application Support/Sword" for both BD and MacSword. (Note the space
>> in the path). Java is /usr/bin/java and is a link to Java 1.4.2. Apple
>> includes a way to change this link to point to the "current" Java. I
>> did not try Java 5.
>>

> "Space in the path" is infamous for causing issues, so I explicitly
> tested and fixed these issues before release, hopefully that isn't the
> problem. I don't have access to a Mac for testing though, so I couldn't
> test on it, it very likely is a core Java issue. I'll try and get access
> to see what's going on. Since JSword works with 1.4.2, FB shouldn't be
> different. What version of Firefox were you using?

I'm using the latest in the 2.x series on all platforms. For testing, I
thought I was using 1.4.2.

> Something to note is that the interface between Firefox and Java changed
> significantly enough between FF 2 an the recent FF 3 betas to break the
> extension completely. I have accounted for these changes but perhaps
> there are even more differences on the Mac.
>

>> On Fedora 8, (a Linux distribution) I couldn't get it to work. On
>> clicking on Bibles, I get the spinning busy indicator. And it won't
>> come back. Clicking on it again pops up a dialog box letting me know
>> it is busy. And then the spinning goes away. However, it is still busy
>> and clicking again gets the same dialog box. At first, I thought it
>> was due to my having all the Bibles installed. But when I move .sword
>> out of the way, I still got the busy situation.
>>

> I did test FireBible on Ubuntu rather extensively; initially I had a
> problem with the Java plugin not being installed, once I fixed that
> everything worked fine. Since you saw the "busy" message, it seems to
> have progressed beyond a Java problem, perhaps a bug somewhere. What
> JSword/FF version did you try with? (I have only tried 1.0.7).

I use JSword 1.0.7 for all my testing.

> I'm not 100% sure with how Firefox decides what Java version to use so
> here are some questions.
>
> 1) Do Java applets work? Here is Sun's test page which should print out
> some info about the Java version being used by FF and display an
> animation: http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
> If the applet isn't working, then there is no way FB will work.

Applets work on all: Windows, Mac and Linux.

> Note: there are some reports that the animation does not work, but the
> info should still be displayed.
>
> 2) I had to do this to get FB working on Linux:
>
> In the Firefox/plugins folder, I had to create a symbolic link (do not
> copy the file) to the Java plugin in my desired JRE, like so:
>
> ln -s
> /your_path_here/java/j2re1.5.0/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
> libjavaplugin_oji.so
>

>> I have installed gcj, Sun's Java 1.4, Sun's Java 5, Sun's Java 6 and
>> IcedTea Java 7. Both gcj and IcedTea were installed via yum from
>> Fedora. The various Sun's Java were installed as outlined in http://www.crosswire.org/jsword/linuxjava.html
>> .. I use /usr/sbin/alternatives to switch between them. I tried 1.4.2,
>> 5, 6 and IcedTea.
>>

>  From point #2 above, I don't think a /usr/sbin switch will get FF to
> use another Java version, again, I'm not sure.
It turns out I am using icedtea's plugin, which says it is Sun's. It
appears that the alternatives program does not change the plugin.

>  I know that FF on Linux
> can only use Sun's Java, nothing else, versions 1.5 and up recommended.
>
> Here is the Mozilla page with the details:
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_FAQs_:_Install_Java

This is not the right way to install Java on Linux.

Following the JPackage installation instructions given on
www.crosswire.org/jsword/linuxjava.html,
I entered the following to allow alternatives to handle Sun's Java
plugin. But only for the versions of Java that I have installed.
The following 3 commands are each a single line, entered as root:
/usr/sbin/alternatives --install
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so libjavaplugin.so
/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.4.2-sun/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so 14200

/usr/sbin/alternatives --install
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so libjavaplugin.so
/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.5.0-sun/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so 15000

/usr/sbin/alternatives --install
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so libjavaplugin.so
/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so 16000

Then, as root, I ran /usr/sbin/alternatives --config libjavaplugin.so
and chose a Sun plugin (in my case #2)
/usr/sbin/alternatives --config libjavaplugin.so

There are 4 programs which provide 'libjavaplugin.so'.

  Selection    Command
*+ 1           /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.7.0-icedtea/lib/i386/gcjwebplugin.so
   2
/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
   3
/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.4.2-sun/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so
   4
/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.5.0-sun/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Enter to keep the current selection[+], or type selection number: 2

And making this change worked. (of course, I had to shutdown all open
sessions of Firefox and restart)

> If you have the time, can you please do the following:
>
> 1) Type "about:config" into the address bar
> 2) Right click and create a new boolean key named "firefox.debug.active"
> and set it to true.
> 3) When you restart Firefox, use Tools > Error Console and the extension
> should print out debugging information, if you paste that here, I will
> know how far along it got before bombing out.

Warning: reference to undefined property this.jsword
Source File:
file:///home/dmsmith/.mozilla/firefox/594xyf3s.default/extensions/firebible@thegoan.com/components/bibleprotocol.js
Line: 81

>> But on WinXP, it looks great.
>>

> Whew, thanks!
>

>> Feedback:
>> The table used to show notes and text should be padded between the
>> columns.
>>

> Agreed.
>

>> The URL showing search results is unreadable because of all the
>> escaping. If you used the osisRef form, it would be more readable.
>>

> FireBible is completely URL driven, when you use the combos, it creates
> a URL (through simple concatenation) and passes that on to JSword which
> returns the text.
>
> When you use the search, it passes the search terms to JSword, which
> returns the URL (minus "bible://") and I go ahead and pass that verbatim
> into JSword again which will now oblige with the text.
>
> I have not looked at the osisRef form but will shortly, will it still be
> usable given the above "inner workings"?

JSword will parse just about anything and will succeed on anything it
creates.
If you ask for a key's osisRef it will delineate with spaces. Just
replace those with a comma.