[jsword-devel] Open Source Java

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 30 03:58:17 MST 2008

On Mar 30, 2008, at 6:20 AM, Manfred Bergmann wrote:

> That's indeed good news.
>
> Actually I thought Sun put some or all of their sources under an open
> source license and OpenJDK is a project around these:
> http://openjdk.java.net/

> Regards,
> Manfred

Yes they did. But only the "unencumbered" parts. So only about 96% was
put out there. OpenJDK 1.6 can be built but only by including parts
from Sun. So it is not entirely free. The 96% was probably all the
more we needed.

IcedTea is RedHat's effort to speed things along. It is meant to be
replaced with OpenJDK when that is finally released. The difference is
that IcedTea leaves out encumbered stuff. So far sound and snmp are
left. But it seems to work just fine. Though I haven't tried every
aspect of it.

In Him,
	DM