[jsword-devel] [sword-support] JSword written in Java

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 27 05:52:10 MST 2008

Welcome Claude,
I am replying here since you have joined this mailing list.

Claud CL wrote:
> Dear Sir/Madam,
>
> My name is Claud and I want to build a bible software.
> I do not know where to start.
> I read something about JSword (a free Bible Study program written in
> Java).
The actual program is called BibleDesktop and it is built with JSword.

> I have downloaded (jsword-1.0.7-src) the source code but I  need help
> in how to work with this code.
The best thing to do is download Eclipse from (www.eclipse.org) and
follow the instructions on www.crosswire.org/jsword/Eclipse.html. See
also: http://www.crosswire.org/jsword/svn.html for an explanation of the
various parts of JSword and BibleDesktop.
> Could you please help me to better understand what version of Java do
> I need to use other information about the Java Editor.
> I am new in Java.
As to Java, you will need Java 1.4.2 for development of JSword and
BibleDesktop. We are sticking with compatibility with Java 1.4.2 for the
sake of MacOS 10.3. But if you are going to use JSword, without change,
in your own program, you can use any version of Java since 1.4.2.

My encouragement would be to get BibleDesktop, see what you like and
what you don't like and what you'd like to have added. Then take a look
at www.crosswire.org/bugs for JSword, Common and BibleDesktop to see
what we have identified as things we want to do.

I think we can do more if we work together. If you want to do something,
more or less, from scratch, there is the start of an RCP version of
BibleDesktop in the "incubator" Everyone has permission in svn to make
changes there.

In Him,
    DM Smith