[jsword-devel] Alkitab Bible Study 0.9 released

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 5 04:53:31 MST 2008

I too am not a lawyer. But I think that Tonny has the right spirit.

JSword and Common are LGPL and BibleDesktop is GPL.

This means that executables that use just jsword.jar and/or jsword-
common.jar can be liberally licensed or put in the PD. Tonny has done
this.

bibledesktop.jar requires that an executable be licensed as GPL. Tonny
has done this.

The other jars (e.g. lucene) have their own license. None of them are
(L)GPL. Turns out that Lucene's Apache license is not compatible with
(L)GPL v2, but is with v3. Same is true with other Apache code we use.
Someday, we'll add the "or later" clause to be fully compliant.

Further, Tonny has not obscured the licensing of our code.

I agree that he should mark each of his files as PD. I think the
suggestion of making the program GPL as a whole is a good one.

The GPL v2 is a distribution license. The heart of it is that complete
source is made available.

-- DM