[jsword-devel] Progress update

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 11 05:57:37 MST 2008

For JSword we use Lucene to do indexing and searching. Lucene is in
the process of releasing their next version, 2.3, and it improves
indexing performance tremendously. On WinXP, MacOSX 10.5 and Linux
(FC7) I am currently able to index the ESV in 40 - 60 seconds. With
the Lucene 2.3, indexing times are in the range of 25-40 seconds, with
a net drop in time around 30-35%.

When it comes out, I'll be doing another release that will include:
1) Bug fixes. These were found during the translation of BD into
Farsi. But the most important will be getting the Windows install to
run without a work around.
2) Support for Right-to-Left (rotl) languages is complete. (We think)
3) Complete translation into Farsi. Start of translation into
Vietnamese, Chinese, German and Turkish.
4) Lucene 2.3, noted above.
5) Ability to set font on a per language or book basis.

If you have further translation work or other changes that you want
out with this release please get it in. (I still have a few pending
patches that have been submitted to apply)

If anyone is interested, I can post the lucene 2.3 release candidate
jars for testing