[jsword-devel] Searching in German

Manfred Bergmann bergmannmd at yahoo.de
Wed Feb 6 07:59:40 MST 2008

Am 06.02.2008 um 15:34 schrieb DM Smith:

> Manfred Bergmann wrote:
>> Hi DM.
>>
>> AFAIK, Lucene from version 2.1 can deal with leading wildcards.
>>
> Lucene 2.3 still throws an error: "Cannot parse '*ning': '*' or '?'
> not
> allowed as first character in WildcardQuery"
>
> Perhaps, there's something that needs to be done to enable it?

Yes, there is a flag in QueryParser class called
setAllowLeadingWindcard(boolean).
It is available since v2.1.

>> It would find "*schiff".
>> Wouldn't this be enough?
>>
> If a German speaker searches for "schiff" would they expect to find in
> words like donaudampfschiff?

They probably would expect to find it.
But sometimes you find search options like "exact search phrase". Then
it should find "schiff".
Else I would expect that the search engine adds wildcards in front and
behind so that any words are found containing this token.

> Prefix wildcard search may be sufficient, but I don't know if it is
> friendly.

True. But when adding a leading wildcard for the user it will give the
same result.
What about all the other languages?
Does this work in english actually?

Regards,