[jsword-devel] a new users perspectives on APIExamples

Mike Bradley mrqberrt at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 09:50:52 MST 2008

I'll try to summarize my experiences with APIExamples which will
hopefully be somewhat indicative of a new users experience.

To start with, here are some things that I assumed as I was getting started:
I assumed that APIExamples could be run with only the jsword and the
common projects checked out of SVN.
I assumed that APIExamples serves as a primer to get someone familiar
with the jsword way of doing things.
As such, I assumed APIExamples was the place to start to learn jsword
I assumed that APIExamples would not need additional setup to be run

I ran into some problems running APIExamples. I'll try to state them
clearly without reading too much into the causes.

Problem: I didn't have a KJV Bible
My solution: I ran bible desktop, downloaded the KJV and then copied the
.sword directory from bibledesktop to jsword
I could have also gotten this to work with the installManager example
that DM added to APIExamples (thanks for that btw DM)

Problem: I didn't have a dictionary
My solution: Same as prior, but using a dictionary instead of the KJV

Problem: Couldn't search as the ".jsword\lucene\Sword\KJV" directory did
not exist (I think that was the problem anyway)
My solution: Ran bibledesktop, enable searching for KJV, and then copied
the .jsword/lucene  directory from bibledesktop to jsword

Problem: searchAndShow() seems to be dependent upon bibledesktop.
Explanation: searchAndShow() is looking for "xsl/cswing/simple.xsl"
which seems to be in the bibledesktop project:
"org.crosswire.common.xml.Converter"
My solution: Haven't worked on fixing this one as I don't think I need
it for my purposes

Problem: readStyledText() fails to add class
"org.crosswire.common.xml.Converter" and throws an exception saying as much.
My solution: Haven't worked on this one either, but DM said that he
fixed it in an earlier check-in.  It is still not working for me, and I
thought I was all caught up with the lastest check-ins, but I might not
be as I'm still getting used to the subclipse way of doing things (I
usually deal with subversion from the command line).  In other words,
the problem could very well be only on my end.  I'll work more on
figuring out if that is true later.

I'm not necessarily trying to get anyone to fix these.  I think I've
gotten just about everything I need working.  I'm just trying to provide
some feedback to you in case it is helpful.

For Christ's sake,
Mike