[jsword-devel] LXX septuagint weird strongs number

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 11 08:51:33 MST 2008

Tonny Kohar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is a strange LXX septuagint regarding the strong number:
> eg:
> - Gen 1:31 (the last word) it listed as G1623 but when you click it,
> it display the G1624 instead because G1623 is not in the index
> - Gen 1:1 (the 4th word) it listed as G3588 but when you click it, it
> display the G3596 instead because G3588 is not in the index
> - etc
>
> Is this a bug on the program JSword/Lucene, or the bug on the module
> itself (sword module) ?
>
> note: I am not understand (could not read/write) greek at all, so I
> might be wrong.

It looks like you have your option/preference for a Greek dictionary set
to "Greek to Hebrew Dictionary of Septuagint Words" rather than to
"Strong's Greek Bible Dictionary". The former is incomplete.

G3588 is the Greek indefinite article and probably is the most common
word in any Greek work.

The nature of the dictionary search is to return the "closest" match to
your request. The old behavior was for it to be an error. The reason for
the change was twofold:
1) match the behavior of the SWORD engine.
2) prepare for general dictionary lookup, where it is better to find the
right "page" in the dictionary when the exact form of the word being
sought is not found.