[jsword-devel] BD translations

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Mon Apr 28 07:35:54 MST 2008

Looking at the source code of Al-Kitab and while  thinking about
translating it, I suddenly started to wonder again re BD + whether we
went wrong with including application language choice.

I think few if any people will want to mess around with the various
application language options, most will simply want to run a programme
in the language they are used to. Also most churches etc who might want
to distribute BD will want to do so in the language they use instead of
telling their recipients to start an English programme, switch it to
e.g. Chinese and then restart it.
Particularly if we keep adding translations this might also add to
considerable bulk.

So, what do you think about the following two options: -

1) wholesale removal of the whole language choice code, but adjustment
of the build scripts so that one can produce a - potentially much
leaner? - BD executable in any chosen language at build time.

2) or distribution of the English executable with loadable translation
modules as separate items for distribution.

(1) particularly  could result also in speed improvements - choice of a
RtoL language at build time could result also in RtoL oriented code
rather than in code offering both options and requiring again and again
decisions.

Peter