[jsword-devel] another bible viewer based on JSword API

Tonny Kohar tonny.kohar at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 19:38:21 MST 2008

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, it is very appreciated.

>  Based on what I was able to see and based on the screenshot on the
>  website, I like the ability to reorganize the UI and the possibility
>  of plugging in other behaviors. These are the kind of things that we
>  want to do for our 2.0 release. You may have given us a head start.
>  Does it use a real browser, or is it using Java's anemic Swing
>  HtmlEditorKit?

Currently, it is using Swing HTMLEditorKit. However, I have plan (not
realized yet) to try different rendering engine like: flying sourcer
(Native Java xhtml renderer) or maybe using the latest tech from sun
JDIC native browser integration.

My first focus, is to make feature complete first. Once it is
finished, I will start exploring the alternatives.

>  On all my machines (Windows, Linux and Mac)I have multiple VMs and
>  generally Java 1.4 is what programs find.
>
>  On the Mac, I started with Java 1.4 under a prior OS release and it
>  has been present since then. I don't think it is reasonable to expect
>  non-technical users to be able to figure out how to switch default
>  VMs. The shell script should be able to find Java 5 and use it.

Because it is using Netbeans RCP platform as the underlying framework,
it require at least java 1.5 or higher. Regarding the scripts, the
supplied script should be able the pick up the default (which is the
latest) java available on the particular computer, however this seem
broken :).

You can manually use particular java vm by editing
[installed_dir]/alkitab/etc/alkitab.conf in that file there should be
the following line
#jdkhome="/path/to/jdk" just edit into
jdkhome="/path/to/jvm" remove the "#" and the path can be jdk or jre
eg:/opt/java-1.6.0_04/ (without bin folder, only java home root
folder)

or if you want to start manually you can supply the command line argument eg:
[install-dir]/bin/alkitab --jdkhome /path/to/jre_or_jvm (note double dash --)

In the source code there should be ant script that allow automatic
build of mac style "alkitab.app" program distribution/installer but
disabled  because I do not have mac (for testing) and unable to create
icns (icon) for the mac. Once I have icns (icon) it will be simple to
create mac distribution by just running the ant script. So Mac user
just simple drag n drop the alkitab.app into program folder and double
click to launch the application.

Note: to run the ant script, you need to have Netbeans IDE at least
6.1 installed (available for Mac OSX as well)

Cheers
Tonny Kohar
--
Kiyut