[jsword-devel] Interlinear text

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 12:28:15 MST 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 1:17 PM, DM Smith <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> A long time ago, I worked on creating interlinear text (inspired by
>  Karl's work on GnomeSword) but could not quite get it working. I've
>  revisited it because of the interest in a SWORD web interface for the
>  iPhone.
>
>  So now it works  on FireFox, IE and Safari.

Fascinating - how exactly are you determining the proper words and
Greek lookups?  I presume you're looking at the Strongs' of the word
in the KJV, and then there's an index from that into the Strongs'
module and the Robinson's module?  I don't use Strongs myself, so I'm
not familiar with what modules there are around to look into it.

Personally my eye, when it's trying to stack that many things
together, sort of desires a visual barrier between the rows in
addition to the 0.5em whitespace.  Here's the changes I've made that
work in FF

to span.ref I added a line
border: none none none;

to span.verse span I changed
padding: 0em 0.5em 0.5em 0em;
to the following lines:
        padding        : 0em 0.5em 0.25em 0em;
        margin         : 0em 0em   0.25em 0em;
        border         : none none none;
        border-bottom  : 1px solid gray;
        height         : 4em;

to span.verse span span I also put in:
        padding        : 0;
        border         : 0;
        height         : 1em;
        margin         : 0;

This gives (at least in FF) a nice line across between two quad-lines
of text.  However, it still puts a border 3/4 of the way down (instead
of connected with the rest of the border) under the second instance of
the verse number - this is because the first one is outside of the
span.verse and the second one is inside of span.verse, thus it
inherits the border characteristic of span.verse span (which is
exactly where I put the borders).  This is solved either by lifting
the span.ref in the second instance to be outside of the span.verse
(which would make the most consistent sense, I think) or by dropping
in the following:
      span.verse span.ref {
        border         : 0;
      }
which overrides the border that span.verse span gives it.  But now
there's still a gap underneath the superscript verse.  If instead you
do
     span.verse span.ref {
        height          : 5.5em;
     }
this keeps the line on the bottom of the reference and places it in
the correct place, with no need to move around the location of the
span.ref.  However, having it consistently inside or consistently
outside would seem preferable.

--Greg