[jsword-devel] iPhone WebApp Take 2

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 09:32:14 MST 2008

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 6:47 AM, DM Smith <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  On Apr 20, 2008, at 6:13 AM, Jonathan Morgan wrote:
>
>  > On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 7:52 PM, Greg Hellings <greg.hellings at gmail.com
>  > > wrote:
>  >> I've cleaned up some of the problems with my iPhone webapp page and
>  >> it
>  >> seems to be coming along nicely (in my opinion).  It's becoming less
>  >> and less happy-looking on the desktop and more and more good looking
>  >> in the browser.  Next I'll get in a HistoryListener and then be able
>  >> to do away with my pesky "Back" button that doesn't seem to show up
>  >> happily in the version of Safari on the iPhone Simulator.  Again,
>  >> it's
>  >> available still, for the time being, at
>  >> http://hellings.is-a-geek.com:8080/jsword-gwtweb/WebInterface.html -
>  >> let me know what you guys think.  Transformation is still being done
>  >> on the server side, as I'm afraid to overload a mobile browser with
>  >> the XSLT transformation.  I can give client-side XSL a try, if it
>  >> proves too much of a strain on the server to do all the transforming,
>  >> but I don't think it'll be a problem.  The site is currently
>  >> incompatible with the version of IE that comes with Windows Mobile 5,
>  >> and I have no idea about other mobile browsers.  However, FF, Safari
>  >> (desktop and mobile) and IE7 all seem to work fine in my tests.
>  >>
>  >> I'd be happy to share the source code (Java/GWT) if anyone would like
>  >> it, and once I get this version ironed out I'll see about permanent
>  >> hosting for the tool itself as well as for the source code.
>  >
>  > Some comments on the interface (though I can't guarantee they will all
>  > be right):
>  > 1. A lot of the names of modules aren't very useful to the average
>  > user.  I personally would tend to run away from any page that claim to
>  > be related to the Bible and starts with a button "Back" (I've only
>  > just arrived - why do I want to go back?), followed by the strings
>  > "ALT" and "Byz" in green (which have little or no meaning to most
>  > users - though this problem isn't unique to your application).
>
>  This can be alleviated with a tooltip. (setting the title attribute on
>  the element should do the trick.) Otherwise, do some kind of smart
>  truncation. The title to Chamorro is unacceptably long. Even the KJV
>  might be too much to display as a whole.

Yes, this is a problem.  Again, on the iPhone, with no real concept of
hovering, tooltips don't really work.  I suppose I can reduce the
font-size a bit and wrap the text in its current space - provided I
can do it while still remaining easy to read on the mobile screen.
Changing the color of the background is trivial and is something I
plan to do once I figure out the basic colors used by most iPhone
applications.  You also make a good point - I should probably start
them in a default module and provide a more verbose button to allow
them to switch modules if they don't like my default.