[jsword-devel] Progress report

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 12 17:43:21 MST 2008

On Apr 12, 2008, at 7:53 PM, Brian Fernandes wrote:

> DM,
>
> I haven't used Dictionaries myself yet, but any order of magnitude
> performance increase like this is awesome. Will be adding support for
> all additional modules shortly to FireBible.
>
> Combined with the much faster Lucene, perhaps the next JSword release
> should be codenamed "blazing spear" or something in that vein :)
>
> Keep up the great work DM,
> Brian.

Thanks, Brian.

I like the code name. You may just see it or something like it. :) The
other biggie is that we are releasing Chinese (traditional and
simplified) and also Vietnamese, while completing Farsi and German. So
the title may be a bit pentecostal, too.

One of the other performance hits is the caching of the module list.
This is something that hits at startup as one nearly always asks for a
list of Bibles and/or other books. The problem is that at startup,
JSword does a full parse of each conf into a fully populated
SwordBookMetaData object. I'd like to see if it'd be faster to do lazy-
lookup file.

The other thing would be to allow JSword to be not so smart about
module repositories. This way, one could create a web service that
only knows about a couple of modules of each type. In a small device
UI it would be great to have only a few books to look at in a dropdown.

In Him,