[jsword-devel] New release of BibleDesktop soon

Joe Walker joe at eireneh.com
Sun Jun 24 01:45:46 MST 2007

On 6/24/07, DM Smith <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I wonder how easy it would be to get it to color views with changes? I
> guess its a feature request and not a bug.
>

> Trivial. Just not sure what would work well.

I guess there are several options.
For only 2 versions, we could change the background color whenever the text
wasn't the same as the other version. I guess this is somewhat similar to
what the eclipse diff viewer does (the eclipse viewer has to cope with large
sections of deleted text which we have less of a problem with). When
comparing 2 dissimilar versions, you'd just get solid color, (or maybe
annoying random uncolored matches)

For more than 2 versions you could consider a really complex coloring scheme
to say - different to X, but not Y, and other variants. But I expect that
would be too confusing, and I can't see it working for more than 4 versions
anyway. It's probably better to consider the first version to be the
reference, and only color versions 2-n where they differ from version 1.

The other option, would be to markup the text of versions 2-n using a
insert/delete style:

Version 1 (reference): KJV
In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth

Version 2: ESV
In the beginning God created the heaven heavens and the earth

(In case you can't see the formatting - in the second version the work
heaven (deleted from the KJV) is in grey, and the word heavens (inserted) is
in bold).

One issue to consider would be the level of detail to report. Do you include
punctuation differences? Missing footnotes, altered footnote text
differences? etc.
I always thought it slightly superfluous when the AV/RV interlinear Bibles
took the time to point out that the KJV used a : where the RV used a ;.

Seriously though - it's a feature request, a nice to have, probably not
important for 1.0.7