[jsword-devel] New release of BibleDesktop soon

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 16 06:32:47 MST 2007

Everyone,

I could really use your help testing BibleDesktop before I release it.

Just grab the latest JSword nightly build. Or go to the BibleDesktop
download page and run it via WebStart or if you are on the Mac, use
the Mac zip.

Other than documentation and checkstyle changes, I don't expect any
other changes.

Unless you find bugs or feel strongly that something needs to be
different :)

This will probably be the biggest release since 1.0 from a visible UI
perspective.

==================== PARALLEL BIBLE

I have added Parallel Bible Viewing. So you should see the following:

There is an option to set the number of  Bible pickers at:
Options >> Bible Display >> Parallel Bible Limit

It defaults to 5. If you set it to 1, the main screen won't show -
and + buttons.

When > 2 the main screen will always show these buttons, but if you
are showing one then the - will be disabled. Likewise, if you are at
the limit, the + button will be disabled.

If the display area for the Bible pickers is too small, then there
will be clipping and the right most ones will not display.

When you add Bible picker it will be initialized to either the last
Bible you picked or to your default Bible. This uses your setting for
Options >> Bibles >> Use Current Bible.

==================== DIFFERENCES

Related to Parallel Passage Viewing, I have also added the ability to
view differences between Bibles of the same language.

You can choose View >> Show Differences to turn it on or off.

I find it to be more of a novelty at this point. I think there needs
to be improvements and am open to suggestions, but will probably push
further changes to another release.

==================== QUICK PICK
You will also see a quick pick for Book and Chapter. These do not
track the what's shown via other mechanisms, e.g. search, blur,
manual passage entry, link navigation, ... They merely allow one to
quickly navigate to a selected chapter. This was a requested feature,
but I'm not sure I like the implementation. Perhaps it would be
better if it were in the tool bar???

Sorry about this, but with the ability to pick multiple Bibles,
BookData now takes a Book[] rather than a Book. This had a big ripple
effect.
I have also made changes to Options take effect immediately, if
possible.
And I have made other things toss Events, such as PropertyChangeEvents.

In His Service,
	DM Smith