[jsword-devel] private JRE, Harmony, RCP, pack200 etc

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 26 09:44:54 MST 2007

Zhaojun,

I looked at distributing the JRE with BibleDesktop as part of the
"Portable BibleDesktop" effort (see www.crosswire.org/~dmsmith/bd). The
goal here was to have it fully expanded so that it would work on a
CD-ROM or a USB drive on any platform. I too found that it is big.

I would be very interested to know how you recompressed the JRE and how
you would expand it again upon delivery.

As far as BibleDesktop goes, we are stuck with Sun's implementation of
Swing. I think that JSword or Common can use most 1.4 level JREs. I had
problems with IBMs JRE and I think it had to do with charsets, but I'm
not sure.

The exciting part of RCP/JFace/SWT is that we could use other JREs,
including GNU's and Apache's.

I read the license for Harmony and clause 4 gives us the right to
distribute.

DM