[jsword-devel] BibleInfo.properties and fallback

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Sat Sep 30 11:09:10 MST 2006

Just a note about how we do this in the C++ libs.

We have 2 sections:
1) translation from the Long English name to the Long Locale Name
2) a set of prioritized abbreviations, combining English and the locale.

(1) is obvious.
(2) takes a little more thought.  For example, consider, below, in
Espanol: JOHN, JUAN, and a few other 'J' Book names.  In English, as you
type, 'J' we prefer John above other Books, then 'U' would normally, in
English, take you to Judges (it's bigger than Jude and odds are better
you meant Judges), but since we have control over precedence, since
we've decided to prefer John (or Juan) above Judges, we can add: JU=43
to our list below.  You might be able to get away with this by always
combining English into your Locale, but I would bet that sometimes there
are English entries (e.g., J=43) that will give odd precedence to books,
as their names diverge from the English.  Though I have no idea how
JSword works with locales; just thought I'd give a little background how
we do things in C++-land.

J=43
JN=43
JOHN=43