[jsword-devel] Resource management in JSword

Manfred Bergmann bergmannmd at yahoo.de
Fri Sep 1 00:02:52 MST 2006

Hi DM and all others.

Am 01.09.2006 um 00:11 schrieb DM Smith:

> On Aug 31, 2006, at 1:26 PM, Manfred Bergmann wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> I have tweeked the toolbar code in Desktop.java so that it looks more
>> like a Mac like toolbar.
>> Additionally I used some other toolbar icons the way you (DM)
>> described in the tutorial.
>> See here:
>> http://homepage.mac.com/manfred.bergmann/.public/bd_toolbar.png
>
> Looks really good!
>
>  From the screen shot I see that you are a German speaker. You might
> also be interested in translating the application into German! The
> "tutorial" on resources gives the instructions on how to do it.

Yes I can do this.
I also have fixed the issue with the toolbar icon texts.

>> I guess you have some methods somewhere in util classes, don't you?
>
> org.crosswire.jsword.util.Project has it. Search for "Mac OS X" in
> there.
>
> If we need to add it in a bunch of places I think that we might want
> to make a class or enumeration around the behavior.

Ok, I have created a singleton class that is instanced on its first
need and the system property is only read once.

>> 2. I have installed some bible texts, dictionaries and other stuff.
>> Normally this should go to ~/Library/Application Support/JSword
>> But there are no installed modules. And there is no ~/.jsword
>> directory either. Where are the installed things?
>
> Prior to this release it was in ~/.jsword, but to be friendly with
> other sword applications, I thought it would be best to put modules
> in a "Sword" location. That way we can share. So look in ~/Library/
> Application Support/Sword

Ok found it. But then there is an error with the dictionary I told you.
The encoding in the conf file is UTF8.

>> 3. What do you think about a additional view for dictionaries.
>> I think of it like the normal bible text view. It has a search text
>> field at the top, a combo box where you can choose between the
>> installed dictionaries. It should have the text view where the
>> complete text of the dictionary is shown and additionally it could
>> have a tree view left of the text view where the keys can be choosen.
>> Things that are searched for are entered in the search text field and
>> the search algo searches for the keys first if nothing is found
>> there, it searches in the values.
>>
>> This would imply that the main window can host different views. I
>> think of more views in the future.
>>
>> Sorry if something like this is in the open issues already. If not
>> what can we include it?
>
> I don't know if we have it already in Jira, but we have discussed it
> as being a good idea.
> The thought was that we might want to leverage RCP/JFace/SWT (Eclipse
> technology)
> to do it.

[snip ... snap]

What do you want to do with it. What can you do with RCP?

I don't know if I made myself clear about the dictionary (or any
other view, plugable into the workspace window) view.
Do you know Accordance? I have bought a copy of it and used it for
the last half a year.
This is the best bible study tool I have seen so far.
They are lacking some features too or do not have them like I would
like them to have. And I am not happy with the closed platform they
have. The modules are very expensive. The application itself it
affordable but if you need a lot of modules you can spend a lot of
money.
And there is no way of exporting modules in a format usable in other
applications (except RTF and plain text). Importing modules from
other formated sources is also very bad.
But the ease of use, the flexibility with views and tjhe features for
peaple studying languages is great.
Please don't understand me wrong.
I don't want to adertise Accordance but they are doing a lot of
things very good and adapting some of the things would not hurt.
For example they use a simple Rich TextView for display all text
information. And I think that's enough. There is another small
floating window where Strong information or other information can be
shown. Cross-References can be included as a pane in the mainview and
if you scroll through the verses the view are sycronized.

Please do ma a favour and watch these flash videos:
http://www.accordancebible.com/resources/demos/flash6.html
http://www.accordancebible.com/resources/demos/newin7.html

Look. I think BibleDesktop is good as it is now. But some of the
things must be improved. Some things must be talked about if we
should handle them totally different. Maybe they can be implemented
in a version 2.0.
But if we want to change something with the display of information
and organization of views, we should begin with this maybe as a
branch of development. We could do bugfixes and new freatures in the
current version and merge them in the new branch where needed.

Please don't think of me that I am - well whatever. I have great
respect of what you guys did on JSword and BibleDesktop. It's just
that I have a vision of something and want as much of it as possible
to come true.

Best regards and God bless,
Manfred