[jsword-devel] Announcing: BibleDesktop v1.0.5

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 19 14:38:17 MST 2006

Since BibleDesktop 1.0 was released almost a year ago, we have had
several unheralded releases. These have mostly been bug fixes and
internal changes.

Your response has been wonderful and much appreciated. We have had
about 3,000 downloads a month and Bible.org has touted BibleDesktop
as the best application to view their NET Bible with notes.

Here is a quick summarization of the obvious changes since 1.0:

BibleDesktop can now display Bible book names in over 30 languages.

BibleDesktop is also now a native Macintosh application, complete
with a Mac installer.

BibleDesktop now supports Webster's Dictionary.

BibleDesktop directly supports locked books. Currently you can
purchase unlock keys for NET Bible from Bible.org and Hoffnumg fuer
alle, Bible and Lexicon from Brunnen-Verlag. For your convienence,
BibleDesktop's Options -> Books has the download site for Bible.org.

BibleDesktop now supports images in all book types. At the moment no
modules contain images, but Bible Atlas Online is coming soon.

BibleDesktop now handles references in Commentaries much better.

In addition to these changes to BibleDesktop, I have worked on
improving your experience with the KJV, fixing all the problems in it
that I could find. If you have not recently updated your version, I
strongly recommend doing so.

Now you also have two choices for a modern English translation: ESV
Bible, from Crossway Bibles and NET Bible from Bible.org. And one for
German, GerHfa2002.

What's to come:
	Support for GenBooks such as Josephus and the soon to be released
Bible Atlas Online.
	Support for "Personal Commentary"
	Parallel Bibles
	Persistence - that the program start up where it was when it was
last closed.
	Portability - The ability to run BibleDesktop entirely from a flash
drive, or read-only CD or DVD.

Each one of these is likely to have its own release. They may be
unannounced, so keep an eye on http://www.crosswire.org/jsword/
news.html.

The development of BibleDesktop is a community affair.
Everyone can help and your help is greatly appreciated.
You can provide help in the way of feedback, both good and bad.
Make suggestions for the future (we'll log them at www.crosswire.org/
bugs under BibleDesktop).
Update our documentation or improve it.
Translate the application into your language.