[jsword-devel] Java 5.0 changes

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 2 09:28:02 MST 2006

I have checked in the initial migration to Java 5.0.
You may have some difficulties in Eclipse. Here is what I had to do:
1) Install Java 5.0 (aka 1.5.0_06)
2) Make sure JAVA_HOME points to it.
3) In Eclipse under Window -> Preferences -> Java -> Installed JREs add
Java 5.0 and call it jdk-1.5.0.
    Remove 1.4.2 while you are at it.
4) In Eclipse under Window -> Preferences -> Ant -> Runtime -> Global
Entries
    Remove Java 1.4.2 tools.jar and add java 1.5 tools.jar (this is
needed if you run ant builds)
5) If your shortcut to Eclipse uses the -vm argument, make sure that is
fixed as well.

I have changed all the project settings to compile with Java 5.0.
I have added annotations to many files to mark overrides. (This allows
for compile time checking that what we intend to be an override actually
matches the super class signature.)
I turned off warnings for type safety. (Too many of them at this time.)

I also changed the ant build to work with 5.0.

The following are broken for the moment: javancss and java2html.
(neither like the annotations)