[jsword-devel] Locked Modules

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 21 07:02:03 MST 2006

Please provide feedback:

Within the last few months and over the course of the near future we are
seeing locked modules coming available (NET, NASB, ...). In each of the
cases the publisher will be selling the unlock key. In some cases the
publisher will be hosting the module on their website.

In BibleDesktop, when a module is locked it is shown with a small lock
overlay icon in the Book Installer. When the user selects a locked
module, the "Install" button is greyed out. This leaves the user with
manually downloading the module, unzipping it in the correct location,
finding the module's conf and editing it, entering the unlock key.

I would like to change this so that at a minimum, the user can download
and install the module. Further, ideally the application should allow
the user to enter the unlock key at download time and also later. The
key would then be checked for validity*. I'm kinda working against a
deadline of the next SWORD CD being created. It would be nice to get
this done before the CD is mastered. So at a minimum, instructions
should be given to the user to manually insert the unlock key.

The unlock key represents an asset that the user owns. I am wondering
where and how we should store the unlock key. In order to maximize
sharing with other SWORD applications it needs to be in the module's
conf. I'm wondering if it should be double stored in a file that is not
deleted when the module is deleted? (A simple properties file should
suffice.)

*WRT a unlock key validity check there has been much discussion on
sword-devel on how this should be done.

The best solution was to change the locking process to encode a random
sequence of bytes in two known locations in the module before
enciphering. Then a check would to have been to decipher the module and
compare the random sequence at the beginning and the end. If they
matched the key was valid. This solution is not be used because it was
deemed as being too intrusive. (There are locked module already created
that would have to be relocked.)

So this leaves us with guessing. Turns out that we can guess fairly
well. There are certain characters that should not be in a module,
namely most 7-bit ASCII unprintable, control characters. If any of these
control characters are found any deciphered chunk of text, then the
unlock key is bad.  The accuracy of the test increases with the length
of the text being deciphered. (The fundamental nature of the cipher
algorithm is that of a random byte generator, seeded with the unlock key
and all input prior to the current byte.)