[jsword-devel] eRCP (Embedded Rich Client Platform)

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 23 06:15:23 MST 2006

DM Smith wrote:
> Aleksander Rozman wrote:
>> DM Smith wrote:

>>> Yes. I think you said it right. It should be a potential goal. From
>>> what I read, one needs to stick with the Java Foundation Classes,
>>> that is J2ME. Not familiar with it, but the real question is whether
>>> the libraries we use are compliant?
>>>
>> Java Foundation Classes (this are normally classes you get when you
>> download JRE) are normal java classes, in this case it means normal
>> swing and awt (as it is part of swing). For J2ME, this are probably
>> limited to special version of awt and swing. I haven't worked with
>> J2ME before either.
> My bad, I meant JCL Foundation classes. These were referenced in
> "eclipse Rich Client Platform: Designing, Coding, and Packaging Java
> Applications" as the subset of Java to use when developing for mobile
> devices. I have been looking but I have not been able to find a list
> of what is contained.
I found the JCL Foundation here: java.sun.com/products/foundation
It is a subset of classes based (if I correctly remember what I read) on
Java 1.4.1.
The classes are limited to the following packages (I am looking at the
javadoc for the reference implementation):
java.lang
java.lang.ref
java.lang.reflect
java.math
java.net
java.text
java.util
java.util.jar
java.util.zip
and a bunch of java.security packages which we don't use directly

I don't know if all classes in these packages are present.

Making a quick inventory of our imports for non-gui classes,
we use the following packages which are not present:
java.beans (for property change listening)
java.util.regex (for pattern matching)
javax.xml (for our core behavior)
javax.sax (for our core behavior)

I think that the last two are ok because we can get them from elsewhere.