[jsword-devel] CVS has been retired in favor of SVN

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 17 14:01:06 MST 2006

We have migrated from CVS to SVN. We will not be doing anymore checkins
to CVS. Please migrate from CVS to SVN as soon as possible. Within the
next 2 weeks CVS access will be taken down.

Here are some helpful hints on getting and using SVN.
You can download SVN from
http://subversion.tigris.org/project_packages.html. Get the version that
matches your operating system. If you are using Linux, it may be a part
of your distribution.

We are currently using version 1.2.3 on the server. The current version
is 1.3. Fortunately, the version on the server and on your machine don't
need to match. SVN has been backwardly compatible for a long time. All
that a mismatch means is that if your version is lower than the server's
then you won't be able to use newer features that the server has. If you
use a newer version and you try to use a feature that the server doesn't
support, it will gracefully complain.

Once installed SVN can be run from the command-line.

If you are using Eclipse for development you can use the Subclipse
plugin. You can find information about how to get and install it here:
http://subclipse.tigris.org/install.html
The version that will be installed is 1.0.0 release candidate 3, which
came out today. It requires SVN 1.3 to be installed on the client.

Now comes the "fun" part.

If you have changes you are working on, do one last update from CVS to
make sure you have everything that is checked into CVS.

Then move your CVS source code tree out of the way.

Then do a checkout from SVN. The repository location is
https://www.crosswire.org/svn/jsword. We are developing against trunk
and our "projects" are directories under that.

The following will checkout all of trunk into c:/svn/jsword (or you pick
a different location)
    svn co https://www.crosswire.org/svn/jsword/trunk c:/svn/jsword

The first time you do this you will be challenged with a self-signed
certificate. I suggest that you accept it permanently, but you can do as
you like!

If you are in Eclipse, you will need to delete all the projects and add
them new again.
Once you have deleted the projects, add the SVN Repository Explorer
Perspective.
Then in that perspective add the repository.
Then navigate through the repository, find trunk and expand it.
Select all the children of trunk that you are interested in, right click
and choose "Checkout"
When the dialog appears, take the defaults. (I.e. just click on "Finish")
This will take a long time. If your connection is unreliable or slow,
you may wish to check out one project at a time. If so, I suggest the
following order:
    jsword-support
    common
    jsword
    bibledesktop

Then optionally
    bibledesktop-web
    jsword-web

The rest is not used within JSword or BibleDesktop.