[jsword-devel] Building on Bible Desktop: BibleBlogs.Net

Don Brown donald.brown at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 09:53:35 MST 2006

I'm in the process of building BibleBlogs.Net [1], a site that provides
tools and a forum to help you in your personal search for God and to share
your experiences with others.  This is accomplished through the marriage of
web journals or "blogs" with Bible study tools, specifically, Bible Desktop
[2].

To this end, I've built a blog client into Bible Desktop to allow someone to
share their Bible study thoughts and experiences from within the Bible
Desktop itself.  The blog engine, Roller [3], even supports group blogs to
allow several people to collaborate on a single study easily and the client
in Bible Desktop supports multiple blogs per account.  Initially, I was
going to build everything around the blog engine, but once I saw Bible
Desktop and how well-designed and commented it was, I decided to built it
into the site.

Anyways, my question is where should I go from here?
 #1 - I could donate the code to Bible Desktop, once it has been cleaned up
to its standards.
 #2 - Continue as a separate project, forking code as needed.

Since Bible Desktop is GPL, the code is available on the BibleBlogs.Net site
[2], so option 1 is more about collaboration.  Option 2 obviously
necessitates me finding a new name, but it also might help encourage Bible
Desktop's design to better accept plugins and extensions.

Look forward to your feedback and ideas.

Don

[1] http://www.bibleblogs.net
[2] http://www.bibleblogs.net/study
[3] http://www.rollerweblogger.org/page/project