[jsword-devel] Linux Installers

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 15 14:50:36 MST 2006

I have been working on the Linux installer and I have run into a snag. I
had been planning to re-use packages defined by JPackage, but JPackage's
JDom rpm has a huge chain of dependencies which ultimately ends with a
package that is not free and therefore not available.

Turns out that in JDom there is the ability to use xpath to address
parts of document. This ability is more or less an add-on and the
org.jdom.xpath package is not used by the rest of JDom. And JSword does
not use it. This xpath capability uses a plugin model to provide the
actual xpath engine. There is a default use of Jaxen. Turns out Jaxen
uses dom4j, which in turn uses StAX. And the StAX implementation that is
required by the dom4j package is from bea.

Anyway, I am trying to work with the JPackage folks to create a JDom
core and JDom xpath packages where the core would have no further
dependency. As is our use. However, I think that there are technical
difficulties with their mailing list and I have not been able to contact
anyone concerning it.