[jsword-devel] Re: [bd-users] Bugs in Bible Desktop 1.0

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 12 14:03:05 MST 2006

Thank you so much for your report. I'll look into it. I have filled out
bug reports on each. Bug fixes will make the next release and the
nightly release before that.

Michael Crider wrote:
> I think I have found three bugs in Bible Desktop 1.0.  All occur in
> the display of modules (such as Dictionaries and Daily Devotionals)
> that are in ThML, as compared to Bibletime 1.5.1.
>
> 1. If the text contains <br />, Bible Desktop displays two empty lines
> instead of a single line break.
There are quite a few white space "bugs". The problem comes that
different ThML encoders manage whitespace in different ways. Our code
assumes that all are valid. I will see if I can find an example (or you
can point me to a specific one) and see what I can do to minimize the
problem.

We first convert ThML to OSIS and then to HTML. The heart of the problem
is that OSIS does not contain a line break except in a line as part of a
line group.
The other part of ThML that OSIS does not handle are any tags that are
in HTML that are not explicitly part of the ThML spec.

ThML allows for all kinds of HTML markup. We have no plans to handle
markup that is best left to style sheets.

My guess is that the problem in handling it is in one of two locations:
Either in the conversion of ThML to OSIS or in the rendering of OSIS
into HTML.
> 2. If a scripRef tag does not have any options (a shortcut documented
> in the ThML definition 1.04), the tag and all text between the open
> and close tags are ignored.  According to the definition, the text
> should be taken as the passage and linked as such.
This is just a flat out bug.
> 3. <font color> tags are ignored.

This may stay the same. OSIS has no notion of color, except as the words
of Jesus, clearly marked as such, i.e. red letter text.

> All of these bugs may be seen in KJVD (King James Dictionary) as
> available from Crosswire.

If you are handy with xslt, I can provide you instructions on how you
can create a local file that would override the one we provide. This
would give you ultimate control in the rendering of the OSIS to HTML
transformation.

> This is a great product - I like a lot about the interface better than
> the other Sword products available on Linux.  Of course, that's just
> my personal opinion - I'm not saying the other programs are wrong.

Thanks for your input! We try to be responsive to user's requests.

I probably should, but I have never looked at the other Sword products
for Linux.